|This article contains spoilers for the game's puzzles. If you'd like to solve them for yourself, you should avoid reading this article.|
The following is a walkthrough for completing Chapter 4 of Detention. This chapter involves Ray following an older Wei around a ruined version of their school. At points during this chapter, Ray has brief conversations with shadow versions of herself. This is the only point in the game with dialogue options, and certain answers must be selected to unlock the "true ending" and the Back to School Achievement.
The scene opens with Ray waking up in a chair in the auditorium as old Wei walks away.
- Move to the left and go through the door against the back wall (where Ray's pendant was found in the prologue.
- Speak to the shadow in the center of the room (you may wish to use the nearby save point first). She will speak and ask you a question.
- Choose "Losing myself" for the true ending.
- After you switch places, leave the room and walk all the way to the left, then go up the stairs. Take the first door you find after that.
- You find another Ray in here, talk to her.
- Leave the room through the door next to you. Walk to the right - you will notice the shadow following you through the window, stopping once you reach the locked door at the end of that room. Continue walking all the way to the right and go down the stairs.
- Walk all the way to the left and go back up the stairs, then enter through the first door you see.
- Walk to the left of the room and speak with shadow Ray again. She will ask you another question:
- Choose "To escape" for the true ending.
- Leave through the door. You will find yourself in a field with Wei and another student burning a pile of books. Walk left to trigger the conversation.
- After they finish, continue walking to the left and pick up the note on the shrine. This is necessary for the true ending.
- Exit to the right of the screen
- Walk slightly right and go through a double door. You will seen old Wei at the far right, who will disappear as you get close. Exit to the right of the screen.
- You will find yourself in a meeting of the book club. Walk right to trigger the conversation.
- After they finish, pick up the paper from the table in the center of the room. This is necessary for the true ending.
- Leave the room through the door you entered from, then exit through the left of the screen in the next room.
- You will see old Wei walking to the right. Follow him. He will lead you to a slightly ajar door near the right staircase. Enter it.
- Remove the broom from the bathroom stall and enter it.
- Walk all the way to the right and exit through the door.
- Walk all the way to the right to find old Wei playing the piano. The setting will shift when you get close.
- After the room changes, pick up the paper from the seat in the center of the room. This is necessary for the true ending.
- Exit through the door on the left.
- Walk left until you find a door that isn't boarded up. Enter it. There is a save point here if you want it.
- Leave the room through the same door. You should be in a different part of the school now. Walk all the way left and enter the door next to the staircase.
- In this room is a shadow Ray that will mirror your movements, and a light switch on the right. Turn the switch on if it isn't already.
- Walk left. The shadow will get stopped by the light, allowing you to get close enough to speak to it; do so.
- Walk all the way to the left and turn on that light switch.
- Speak to the other Ray again.
- Walk right and turn off that light switch, then walk as far left as you can and speak with the shadow again. She will ask you a question.
- Choose "To take hold of your destiny" for the true ending.
- Exit through the door next to you.
- Walk slightly right and exit towards the camera into the field. You will see Instructor Bai on the far left. Walk towards him to trigger the conversation.
- Walk left and speak with the Ray who was just talking to Instructor Bai. She will ask you a question.
- Choose "Try to take them back" for the true ending.
- Walk all the way right and exit through the door. You will see old Wei walking to the left; follow him. He will lead you upstairs.
- Walk to the right to find old Wei smoking on the roof. Click on him.
- Walk back to the left and exit through the door you entered from.
At this point, the remaining steps vary depending on whether you got the normal ending or the true ending. If you are on track for the true ending, there will be a paper airplane on the ground here. Otherwise there will be a static-filled shadow Ray. Both endings are fairly easy to navigate after this, but the following sections contain the continued walkthrough if you need it.
- Continue down the stairs, talking to both shadow Rays
- Walk to the right and talk to the shadow Ray when you reach her.
- After the scene changes, continue walking right until you enter the auditorium filled with people clapping.
- Go onstage and take the noose from the shadow Ray.
- After the scene changes, use the noose on the chair.
- Pick up the paper plane in the center of the room, then continue downstairs and go through the ajar door.
- You will now be in Mr. Chang's office, who will speak.
- When the scene shifts to a daytime scene outside, walk in from the left. You are now playing as old Wei.
- Your journal contains several new notes. You may wish to read them.
- Continue walking right and exiting through the right of the screen. You will pass by an old woman. If you've died before, you may recognize this scene from the death area.
- Once you enter the auditorium, credits will begin to appear on the screen. Exit through the right of the auditorium.
- Walk left up the hill and enter the school. Then go either left or right and take the stairs to the second floor.
- Go through an open door about halfway between the two sides.
- Sit in the left chair.